Thursday 5 August 2010

Searching for 'The Dress'

Part of my job involves going along with brides to search for their perfect dress – as a wedding planner, I can provide a no nonsense, impartial opinion and relate that to how the style of dress will fit with the overall theme and design of the wedding.


I thought I’d share with you the story of my search for a wedding dress:


I did what every bride to be does, as soon as I got engaged I bought loads of wedding magazines and started turning the page corners of the wedding dresses I liked. A pattern emerged and there was one particular style of dress that I continually went back to – it was similar to the picture below. A strapless corset style bodice with a very full skirt with lots of layers.



The day soon arrived and I took my mum to a dress shop to start trying on some dresses. I picked out several dresses that I liked in the shop – all very similar to the above design. I excitedly went into the fitting room with the dress designer and put on the first dress – it felt good, although the skirt did seem quite big! I went outside to show my mum and look in the mirror – my mum’s reaction was not really what I’d expected – she couldn’t stop laughing! She said I just needed a pair of wings and a wand and I could be on top of a Christmas tree – I looked in the mirror and completely agreed with her. Whilst it was a beautiful dress, the style was all wrong for me and just looked ridiculous. So now I was in a tricky situation, all the dresses I’d looked at were in this style, so now that I’d discovered this wasn’t right for me I was stuck – I didn’t know where to start! Luckily the dress designer said she would take a look around the shop and pick out a selection of dresses that she thought would suit me and my shape. I tried on several different dresses and ended up going back to the first dress that was picked out for me.  I still had the fitted bodice and a full skirt but the style was much more subtle and suited my shape.  Here’s a picture of me with my mum on my wedding day:



So, I guess the moral of this story is to try not to set your heart on something purely based on a picture. Go to the dress shop with an open mind and be prepared to try on some different styles. Allow the dress designer to have some input too – they fit brides in dresses every day so they really do know what they’re talking about.

Good luck with your search for ‘The Dress’, if you would like a no nonsense impartial opinion when dress shopping contact us to find out how Endless Love could hep you.

Picture credit: Ideal Wedding Dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment